Aunt Sandy's Sweet Potato Pie
- pastry blender
- 9-inch pie pan
- wire rack
- medium bowl
- rolling pin
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup shortening
- ¼ Aunt Sandy's 10x Cannabutter, cut up
- ¼ cup ice water
- Pie filling (see recipe below)
- Preheat the oven to 450°.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour and salt.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening and butter until pieces are pea-size.
- Sprinkle one tablespoon of water over part of the flour mixture and toss with a fork.
- Push moistened pastry to the side of the bowl.
- Repeat moistening flour mixture using one tablespoon at a time until all the flour mixture is moistened.
- Gather flour mixture into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together. On a lightly floured surface use your hands to slightly flatten the pastry.
- Roll pastry from center to edges into a circle, about 12 inches in diameter.
- Ease into a 9-inch pie pan, trim a half-inch beyond the end of the pan, crimp edges and prick the bottom and sides with a fork.
- Bake for eight minutes, remove foil and bake for another eight minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes.
- Cover and chill for two hours.
Pie Filling Ingredients:
- 2 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes (or 1 can of sweet potatoes, drained and mashed)
- 4 tablespoons Cannabutter, melted
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk or dairy sour cream
In a large bowl stir together sweet potatoes, sugar, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and salt. Add eggs and beat lightly with a fork until combined. Gradually stir in buttermilk (or sour cream) thoroughly mixed.