New Hampshire Medical Marijuana

Share This Article:


Minimum Requirements to Become a Qualifying Patient

•You must be a resident of New Hampshire.

•You must be diagnosed by a medical provider as having a qualifying medical condition.

•You must apply for and be issued a valid Registry ID Card by the Therapeutic Cannabis Program (TCP).

Qualifying Medical Conditions

Your medical provider must certify that you have a qualifying medical condition established in law, as follows:

•Moderate to severe chronic pain; OR

•Severe pain that has not responded to previously prescribed medication or surgical measures or for which other treatment options produced serious side effects; OR

•Moderate or severe post-traumatic stress disorder; OR

•Any combination of a qualifying diagnosis from (1) AND a qualifying symptom or side effect from (2):

1.Cancer; glaucoma; positive status for human immunodeficiency virus; acquired immune deficiency syndrome; hepatitis C; amyotrophic lateral sclerosis; muscular dystrophy; Crohn’s disease; multiple sclerosis; chronic pancreatitis; spinal cord injury or disease; traumatic brain injury; epilepsy; lupus; Parkinson’s disease; Alzheimer’s disease; ulcerative colitis; Ehlers-Danlos syndrome; or one or more injuries or conditions that has resulted in one or more qualifying symptoms under (2); AND

2.Elevated intraocular pressure; cachexia; chemotherapy-induced anorexia; wasting syndrome; agitation of Alzheimer’s disease; severe pain that has not responded to previously prescribed medication or surgical measures or for which other treatment options produced serious side effects; constant or severe nausea; moderate to severe vomiting; seizures; or severe, persistent muscle spasms.

Medical Providers Talk with any of your current medical providers about your interest in the Therapeutic Cannabis Program. Ask if they will certify you for the Program by issuing you a “Written Certification” (available on the Program’s website). Any physician, physician assistant, or advanced practice registered nurse (APRN) who is licensed in NH is permitted to certify you for the Program. In addition, physicians and APRNs (but not physician assistants) licensed in Maine, Massachusetts, or Vermont are permitted to certify you. Out-of-state providers must be primarily responsible for your care related to your qualifying medical condition.State law does not require any medical provider to issue a Written Certification to their patient.

There is not a public list of medical providers who participate in the Program. The Program cannot refer you to a provider. You must work with your current providers or develop a relationship with a new provider to become certified.

Your certifying medical provider may:

•Issue a Written Certification for less than one year.•Send instructions to your ATC, such as the type of cannabis or the means by which the cannabis should be administered, and the ATC is required to follow such instructions.

•Rescind your certification at any time and for any reason if in his or her opinion you should no longer be certified for the therapeutic use of cannabis.

Designated Caregivers

If you need assistance with your therapeutic use of cannabis, including help with obtaining cannabis from your selected Alternative Treatment Center (ATC), you may designate someone to be your caregiver. You may do this on your initial application or any time after you’ve been approved. You may designate only one caregiver at a time (exceptions for minors and for adults with co-guardians are described below). Your caregiver must submit a separate “Designated Caregiver Application” and a $50 application fee, and be issued a Registry ID Card before your caregiver can assist you with your therapeutic use of cannabis. The caregiver’s Registry ID Card will allow that person to legally possess cannabis on your behalf and to legally purchase cannabis from the Alternative Treatment Center you select.

To be approved as a Designated Caregiver an individual must be at least 21 years old and must never have been convicted of a felony. Your caregiver must undergo a state and federal criminal background check, which includes being fingerprinted, and which requires an additional fee to the NH Department of Safety.

You may use the “Caregiver Designation/Removal” form, available on the Program’s website, to designate a caregiver after you’ve submitted your application or if you want to change your current Designated Caregiver.

Alternative Treatment Centers

On your application you are required to select an Alternative Treatment Center (ATC) for the dispensing of therapeutic cannabis. You may select any of the ATCs, but you may select only one at any given time. You can purchase cannabis only from the ATC you have selected. You may change your ATC at any time by completing a “Change of Information/Lost Card” form and submitting it to the Program.

The ATCs in New Hampshire are as follows:

•Prime Alternative Treatment Centers of NH, with a dispensary located in Merrimack.380 Daniel Webster Highway, Merrimack, NH 03054Website: Email: Phone: (603) 262-5035

•Sanctuary ATC, with dispensaries located in Plymouth and Conway.568 Tenney Mountain Highway, Plymouth, NH 03264234 White Mountain Highway (Route16), Conway, NH 03818Website: Email: Phone: (603) 346-4619Note: The Plymouth and Conway dispensaries are considered to be the same ATC. Selecting Sanctuary ATC allows you to go to both locations.

•Temescal Wellness, with dispensaries located in Dover and Lebanon.367 Route 120, Unit E-2, Lebanon, NH 0376626 Crosby Road, Units 11-12, Dover, NH 03820Website: Email: Phone: (603) 285-9383Note: The Dover and Lebanon dispensaries are considered separate ATCs. Selecting one location does not allow you to go to the other location

Share This Article: