Florida Medical Marijuana
Share This Article:
Steps to Treatment
A Qualified Patient Must:
- Be a permanent or seasonal Florida resident
- Be diagnosed with a qualifying medical condition by a qualified physician
- Be entered into the Medical Marijuana Use Registry
- Obtain a Medical Marijuana Use Registry Identification Card
Patients must first be diagnosed with a qualifying medical condition.
It is the responsibility of the qualified ordering physician to follow Florida law, diagnose patients with a qualifying medical condition and determine if medical marijuana is an appropriate treatment.
The department recommends speaking to your health care professional to determine if medical marijuana products are right for you or your loved one.
The OMMU provides a list of the physicians who have completed the required training. Patients and caregivers can also use the Medical Marijuana Qualified Physician Search tool to find a qualified physician by location and specialty.
Qualifying Medical Conditions:
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
- Crohn’s disease
- Parkinson’s disease
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Medical conditions of the same kind or class as or comparable to the others listed.
- A terminal condition diagnosed by a physician other than the qualified physician issuing the physician certification.
- Chronic nonmalignant pain caused by a qualifying medical condition or that originates from a qualifying medical condition and persists beyond the usual course of that qualifying medical condition.
Patients and their Caregivers will then be entered into the Medical Marijuana Use Registry by their Qualified Physician
Once you have been entered into the Registry, your physician will provide you with your Patient ID Number. You will need this to apply for your required Medical Marijuana Use Registry Identification Card.
Remember to provide your physician with your email address to receive important updates!
Patients and their Caregivers will then apply for their Registry Identification Card
Patients and Caregivers may complete an electronic or paper application. For step-by-step instructions and other resources, please visit our Registry Identification Cards page.
Fill your order at one of the licensed Medical Marijuana Treatment Centers
Once your Identification Card application has been approved, you will be able to contact a licensed medical marijuana treatment center (MMTC) and fill an order placed by your qualified physician.
Patients and caregivers may only purchase medical marijuana from a state-approved medical marijuana treatment center. Medical marijuana treatment centers may deliver medical marijuana to qualified patients and caregivers. If you do not have an MMTC in your city you can still fill your order by contacting a medical marijuana treatment center and arranging for a delivery.
For contact information of the currently licensed medical marijuana treatment centers, please visit our Medical Marijuana Treatment Center page.